[SeaBIOS] [RFC] Add SeaBIOS wiki documents to git repo

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 15:13:47 CET 2014

On Mi, 2014-12-17 at 08:24 -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 01:01:59PM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >   Hi,
> >
> > > I'm not sure if doing this is a good idea.  It would be nice to have
> > > the documents in version control, and it would be good to allow
> > > patches to simultaneously update the code and documentation.  However,
> > > modifying wiki syntax from an editor isn't that easy.
> >
> > I don't see editing wiki syntax in $editor as a problem.
>
> The really long lines are annoying to work with.  git-send-email even
> complains about lines over 998 characters long.

Oh, didn't notice this detail.  Just scanned the patch briefly and with
the email client breaking lines it wasn't that obvious.

That is annoying indeed.

> > But what is the plan for the wiki then?  Discontinue?  Switch to
> > read-only and update from git?  Two-way sync between wiki+git?
>
> Update the wiki from git.  Right now, only I have write access to the
> wiki anyway (as no one has requested a wiki account).  A solution
> other than a wiki is also possible, but that wasn't something I was
> thinking of, at least in the short term.

So wiki-style editing isn't a strong requirement.

Going with something else which is easier to work with while maintaining
the ability to generate html pages from it looks like a good way forward
to me.  Also generating static pages would remove the need to maintain
the wiki software.

I don't have good suggestions for a format / software though.

cheers,
  Gerd