[SeaBIOS] Next release

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Dec 16 08:24:58 CET 2014

  Hi,

> I think it is time to start planning the next SeaBIOS release.  I'm
> thinking of targeting a release around the end of January, with a
> feature freeze in mid-January.
>
> I'm thinking of calling the next release v1.8.  In previous releases,
> three numbers were used (eg, v1.7.6), but there does not appear to be
> a compelling reason to use more than two numbers (eg, v1.8) and the
> two number approach is more similar to other projects (eg, QEMU and
> Linux).

Some projects (systemd) use a single number only.  Which is unusual, but
if the major version number doesn't tell much anyway it sort-of makes
sense.  Note that neither linux 3.0 nor qemu 2.0 had any major or
outstanding changes compared to the previous 2.x / 1.x release ...

I think I'd prefer 1.8 nevertheless because the traditional major.minor
format makes clear it is a version number.

> I'm not planning on pushing out the conversion to full 32bit only
> drivers in the next release.  I maintain a branch with that code at:
>   https://github.com/KevinOConnor/seabios/tree/testing-32bit-drivers
> Such a change would potentially have backwards compatibility issues,
> and I think it would be better to push a release with the current
> enhancements (eg, the USB updates) first.

Sounds good to me.

cheers,
  Gerd