[SeaBIOS] Problems with Linux payload

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Mon Aug 18 20:56:01 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 08:51:50AM -0700, Curt Brune wrote:
> Hello Kevin -
>
> On Sat Aug 16 09:51, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> >
> > Nothing from your description sounds like it should cause a problem.
> > I recommend increasing the SeaBIOS debug level to 8 and posting the
> > full log.
>
> Thanks for your help and consideration.
>
> The full log is attached.
>
> Interactively I pressed the <ESC> key to enter the SeaBIOS menu and
> then I selected boot device 5 "Payload [LINUX]".  After that the
> system reboots.

Hi Curt,

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the log that looks suspicious.
Since you are using qemu/kvm, you could try attaching a debugger (if
you are familiar with gdb).

There's documentation online and in the SeaBIOS' README file.  In a
nutshell, run qemu with "-s -S" and then run "gdb" in another terminal
and send it "target remote localhost:1234" along with something like
"br *0x40000" to set a break point at the start of the payload.

Another option would be to try with a known working payload and verify
if you can get SeaBIOS to launch it.