[SeaBIOS] seavgabios resolutions, win8

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Nov 29 17:17:06 CET 2013

29.11.2013 19:59, Michael Tokarev wrote:
[]
>>> And while at it, there's another bugreport against vgabios package in
>>> Debian, see http://bugs.debian.org/685097 .  It looks like windows8
>>> isn't happy with vgabios-provided modes and does not let to change
>>> resolution at all, sticking at 1024x768.  That bugreport points to
>>> a patchset, http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-05/msg00260.html
>>> (this is just one patch from it), which has been applied to xen copy
>>> of vgabios to solve exactly this issue with win8, and reportedly it
>>> works there.  It looks like something similar should be done in
>>> seavgabios too, since with it, win8 guest is also stuck at the same
>>> resolution.
>>
>> Hmm, last time I tried resolution switching in win8 worked just fine
>> with seavgabios.  Can you double-check?
>
> I just installed a fresh win8 VM, and it is indeed stuck with 1024x768,
> with the "screen resolution" combo-box grayed out in the appropriate
> control panel screen, -- there's no way to choose any other resolution.

It was a false alarm really.  I'm sorry for this.

After numerous experiments with different vga bioses, I had a leftover
file named vgabios-stdvga.bin in the current directory.  It was some
version of plex/bochs vgabios.  And that one didn't work.  When I actually
removed it and tried with seavgabios, it worked correctly and it lets me
to change resolutions.

It doesn't have 1920x1024 resolution still, but it is a significantly
better behavour.

So the win8 part of my question goes away :)

Thanks,

/mjt