[SeaBIOS] KVM call agenda for 2013-05-28

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Fri May 31 20:09:35 CEST 2013

Il 31/05/2013 19:06, Anthony Liguori ha scritto:
> David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 10:43 -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>> It's even more fundamental.  OVMF as a whole (at least in it's usable
>>> form) is not Open Source.
>>
>> The FAT module is required to make EDK2 usable, and yes, that's not Open
>> Source. So in a sense you're right.
>>
>> But we're talking here about *replacing* the FAT module with something
>> that *is* open source. And the FAT module isn't a fundamental part of
>> EDK2; it's just an optional module that happens to be bundled with the
>> repository.
>
> So *if* we replace the FAT module *and* that replacement was GPL, would
> there be any objects to having more GPL modules for things like virtio,
> ACPI, etc?
>
> And would that be doable in the context of OVMF or would another project
> need to exist for this purpose?

I don't think it would be doable in TianoCore.  I think it would end up
either in distros, or in QEMU.

A separate question is whether OVMF makes more sense as part of
TianoCore or rather as part of QEMU.  With 75% of the free hypervisors
now reunited under the same source repository, the balance is tilting...

Paolo