[SeaBIOS] [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for 2013-05-28

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at redhat.com
Thu May 30 14:27:22 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 01:19:18PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Yeah, but if we're shoving a lot of hardware-specific ACPI table
> generation into the guest's firmware, instead of just doing it on the
> qemu side where a number of us seem to think it belongs,

Hopefully this is not yet set in stone.

> then there *is*
> a benefit to using Coreboot. When stuff changes on the qemu side and we
> have to update the table generation to match, you end up having to
> update just the Coreboot package, and *not* having to patch both SeaBIOS
> and OVMF.

We have all kind of logic in qemu. Some of it can thinkably
be moved to a separate VM - it doesn't even need to
run in the same VM as the guest - we could do it e.g. like
kvm unit-test does, with less pain than running it in firmware.
Not clear why would generating ACPI tables - which merely
fills up an array of bytes from internal QEMU
datastructures - should be the part where we start
this modularization.

--
MST