[SeaBIOS] KVM call agenda for 2013-05-28

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu May 30 11:23:48 CEST 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 11:18 -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> > Certainly an option, but that is a long-term project.
>
> Out of curiousity, are there other benefits to using coreboot as a core
> firmware in QEMU?
>
> Is there a payload we would ever plausibly use besides OVMF and SeaBIOS?

I like the idea of using Coreboot on the UEFI side — if the most
actively used TianoCore platform is CorebootPkg instead of OvmfPkg, that
makes it a lot easier for people using *real* hardware with Coreboot to
use TianoCore.

And it helps to dispel the stupid misconception in some quarters that
Coreboot *competes* with UEFI and thus cannot possibly be supported
because helping something that competes with UEFI would be bad.

> Is there a payload we would ever plausibly use besides OVMF and
> SeaBIOS?

For my part I want to get to the point where the default firmware
shipped with qemu can be OVMF. We have SeaBIOS-as-CSM working, which was
one of the biggest barriers. There are a few more things (like NV
variable storage, in particular) that I need to fix before I can
actually make that suggestion with a straight face though...

--
dwmw2