[SeaBIOS] Minimal config for booting GRUB2 from SATA drive

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 18 11:43:10 CET 2013

Am Samstag, den 16.03.2013, 03:06 -0400 schrieb Kevin O'Connor:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 06:03:07PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:

> > > Can you up the debug level to 8 on the failed boot case and report the
> > > results?
> >
> > The pasted log is with `CONFIG_PCIBIOS` and `CONFIG_PNPBIOS` set to true
> > too.
>
> You've enabled CONFIG_BOOTMENU while CONFIG_KEYBOARD is disabled -
> that doesn't make much sense.  (The menu isn't of much use if one
> can't control it.)

True. As it is outputting the information what bootable medias are
found, it could be considered useful. But you are right. I am going to
disable it.

> SeaBIOS shouldn't have hung - see patch below

It worked indeed! Thanks a lot!

> - but even with this fixed, grub (or whatever boot loader you plan to
> use) will likely crash without BIOS keyboard support.  It's fine to
> disable CONFIG_USB_KEYBOARD and CONFIG_PS2PORT, but to disable the
> keyboard API is likely going to cause havoc.

There is no havoc besides that I could not use the USB keyboard (not
tested PS/2) as GRUB2 (in the current config (?)) does not enable it.

Additionally disabling most of the BIOS interfaces and using the
graphical menu of GRUB2, it is not shown but only funny colors. I am
going to open a separate thread for this though.

[…]

Thanks,

Paul