[SeaBIOS] Moving BIOS tables from SeaBIOS to QEMU

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 09:46:38 CET 2013

On 02/28/13 06:23, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>> Option one is to let qemu provide them, then both ovmf and seabios can
>> grab them via fw_cfg.
>>
>> Option two is to use coreboot underneath
>
> I don't think one should exclude the other, I think it would make
> great sense to combine them. So have coreboot on QEMU read some
> hardware description from QEMU and use that either as input to a
> table generator, or even have the read data be the tables themselves.

Yes, sure, if we let qemu generate the tables coreboot can just grab+use
them too.  But the coreboot table generator code wouldn't be used then ...

>> From the quick look it seems they do *not* generate the dsdt
>> dynamically, only the other tables (simliar to seabios).  So
>> switching to coreboot probably doesn't help to remove the dsdt
>> patching code we have in seabios.
>
> Is there something inherent to the AML generator code in coreboot
> which makes it suck for the purpose of also generating a DSDT?

I think it is alot of work to get that going.

Typically the dsdt is static while any dynamic stuff is placed in a
(generated) ssdt and is just referenced from the dsdt.  coreboot is not
different here, consequently it has ready-to-go code to generate the
stuff typically found in ssdt (and other) tables.  But support for
generating dsdt constructs simply isn't there (or very limited, some
ressource template bits seem to be there because those are used in ssdts
too).

cheers,
  Gerd