[SeaBIOS] Moving BIOS tables from SeaBIOS to QEMU

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Feb 25 14:43:39 CET 2013

Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> I've made peace with generating AML in C source.

As it happens, coreboot has a good infrastructure for generating AML
at runtime since years already.

Of course static tables in coreboot are no better than static tables
elsewhere. There are two reasons why moving all this complexity into
coreboot makes sense:

1. Significant amounts of code can quite likely be shared between
many different hypervisors, since coreboot already shares significant
code between many different hardware platforms, never mind the reuse
possible across *both* hypervisors and hardware.

2. Having (many!) hypervisor-specific special cases in SeaBIOS seems
wildly schizophrenic without bringing any significant benefits,
compared to factoring all of that out into a codebase which *already
does many of the needed things*.

I understand that noone really cares about those arguments as long as
I don't do their work for them, but I'm afraid I will not stop
complaining as long as SeaBIOS grows with more and more stuff that
has nothing to do with a BIOS environment but has to do with lower
level platform init. Maybe someday someone will actually get the point..

//Peter