[SeaBIOS] doe's seabios support retry booting from other disk if boot from one disk failed

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 09:32:04 CET 2012

On 10/28/12 02:06, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 03:52:04PM +0800, Eli wrote:
>> hi all:
>>
>> Does anyone know that if seabiso support booting from other disk if boot
>> from one failed ?
>>
>> For instance, the PC BIOS boot specification allows only one
>> disk to be bootable.  If boot from disk fails for some reason, the BIOS
>> won't retry booting from other disk.  It still can try to boot from
>> floppy or net, though.I want to know that if seabios support retry booting from other disk?
>
> SeaBIOS follows the specifications, and so only the C drive can be
> booted.  Unfortunately, once the C drive is assigned it can't be
> changed reliably.  So, ultimately SeaBIOS has the same limitation as
> other BIOS here.

What is the problem here?  Fall back to ide/sata hard disk when booting
from usb stick (which is treated as hard disk too) failed would be useful.

It certainly would be a non-trivial change to the boot order code as
this would involve changing the disk mapping, rewriting edd tables and
maybe more.

But on a quick glance I can't see why it wouldn't work reliably.

cheers,
  Gerd