[SeaBIOS] VMWare VGA BIOS planned

Gerhard Wiesinger lists at wiesinger.com
Fri Nov 2 19:59:58 CET 2012

On 02.11.2012 10:17, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On 11/02/12 07:32, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is a VMWare VGA BIOS port from the original VGA BIOS project also planned?
> WorksForMe[tm].
>
>> Currently I don't see any output when using the VGA BIOS. Original VGA
>> BIOS project version works well.
> What exactly you are doing?
>
> To build the roms you'll best start with a qemu git repo as the
> configurations needed to properly build the vgabios variants for qemu
> are stored in the qemu repo.
>
> Then initialize the seabios and vgabios git submodules.  Then go to
> roms/.  "make seavgabios" will build vgabios binaries from seabios repo
> and copy to pc-bios/.  "make lgplvgabios" will build vgabios binaries
> from old lgpl'ed vgabios repo and copy to pc-bios/.  For completeness:
> "make bios" will build (+copy) seabios itself.

How do I initalize the seabios and vgabios git submodules?
# Found it: http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Submodules
git submodule init
git submodule update
# Failed due to DNS problems

BTW: Had a problem with the qemu domain:
nslookup -q=ns qemu.org

Non-authoritative answer:
qemu.org        nameserver = erythros.intersec.com.
qemu.org        nameserver = rouge.intersec.com.

erythros.intersec.com   internet address = 88.191.88.140

nslookup rouge.intersec.com.
** server can't find rouge.intersec.com.: NXDOMAIN

But now to the one I'm trying to use:
git clone git://git.linuxtogo.org/home/kevin/seabios.git
cd seabios
make config
*
* VGA ROM
*
VGA Hardware Type
 > 1. None (NO_VGABIOS)
   2. QEMU/Bochs Original IBM 256K VGA (VGA_STANDARD_VGA)
   3. QEMU/Bochs Cirrus SVGA (VGA_CIRRUS)
   4. QEMU/Bochs VBE SVGA (VGA_BOCHS)
   5. GeodeGX2 (VGA_GEODEGX2)
   6. GeodeLX (VGA_GEODELX)
choice[1-6]: 2

make clean
make
   Finalizing rom out/vgabios.bin

I'm trying to use out/vgabios.bin

The one from git://git.qemu.org/vgabios.git is working well.

1.) git://git.qemu.org/vgabios.git => OK
2.) git://git.linuxtogo.org/home/kevin/seabios.git => not included
3.) Submodules in qemu tree, which point to git://git.qemu.org/vgabios.git/
Which of the first 2 repositories are maintained in the future?

Thank you.

Ciao,
Gerhard

cat .gitmodules
[submodule "roms/vgabios"]
         path = roms/vgabios
         url = git://git.qemu.org/vgabios.git/
[submodule "roms/seabios"]
         path = roms/seabios
         url = git://git.qemu.org/seabios.git/
[submodule "roms/SLOF"]
         path = roms/SLOF
         url = git://git.qemu.org/SLOF.git
[submodule "roms/ipxe"]
         path = roms/ipxe
         url = git://git.qemu.org/ipxe.git
[submodule "roms/openbios"]
         path = roms/openbios
         url = git://git.qemu.org/openbios.git
[submodule "roms/qemu-palcode"]
         path = roms/qemu-palcode
         url = git://repo.or.cz/qemu-palcode.git
[submodule "roms/sgabios"]
         path = roms/sgabios
         url = git://git.qemu.org/sgabios.git
[submodule "pixman"]
         path = pixman
         url = git://anongit.freedesktop.org/pixman