[SeaBIOS] OS that don't work?

nap caracol at neuf.fr
Sat May 26 22:41:32 CEST 2012

Le 26/05/2012 14:06, Fred . a écrit :
> Is there any x86 operating system that SeaBIOS can not boot?
> Why?

SeaBIOS is not currently (1.6.3) fully able to boot W98SE.

That is just for information, I am in fact quite happy to be able to use
a new box with W98SE.
I am currently upgrading from a quite old and deceased box with W98SE on
it to a QEMU/SeaBIOS brand new box.
After some expected difficulties mostly linked to get proper
information, I am now trying to assess the interaction between
QEMU/Seabios and W98SE. I can say that during the upgrade process, W98SE
recognize SeaBIOS as "BIOS Plug-and-Play", something new to install but
W98SE consider it as not functioning properly. If you let W98SE try to
install it, it crash with no progress at reboot. If you don't let it
install it, it does not crash and at the end of the upgrade it is able
to reboot, but not exactly normally, even if you are able to use it. I
will commit a full report.
So, for me, SeaBIOS is not currently (1.6.3) fully able to boot W98SE.