[SeaBIOS] SeaBIOS vs other BIOS?

Fred . eldmannen at gmail.com
Mon May 7 10:51:26 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Fred . wrote:
>> And in terms of standards compliance?
>
> The nature of BIOS is that there isn't a standard to comply with.

SMBIOS, PnP BIOS, BIOS Boot Specification, LBA, EDD, APM, PMM, ESCD,
MultiProcessor Specification, etc.

>> I know proprietary BIOS have advantage when it comes to SMBIOS due
>> to the implementation in SeaBIOS lagging behind several versions.
>
> Do you know of concrete issues because of this lag, or did you notice
> a number that is smaller in SeaBIOS than somewhere else?
>
> Ie. do you see a technical disadvantage because of the difference in
> SMBIOS versions?

I am not familiar with the technicalities of SMBIOS or the changes to
the specification
introduced from version to version.
I did notice the version number of SMBIOS in SeaBIOS being behind the official
specification as well as the implementations of the competition.

Assuming the version numbers actually mean something and weren't
incremented for fun,
I guess the competition is ahead and have a technological advantage in
this area.