[SeaBIOS] [Qemu-devel] SeaBIOS, FW_CFG_NUMA, and FW_CFG_MAX_CPUS

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:40:51 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While working at the CPU index vs APIC ID changes, I stumbled upon
> another not-very-well-defined interface between SeaBIOS and QEMU, and I
> would like to clarify the semantics and constraints of some FW_CFG
> entries.
>
> First, the facts/assumptions:
>
> - There's no concept of "CPU index" or "CPU identifier" that SeaBIOS and
>   QEMU agree upon, except for the APIC ID. All SeaBIOS can really see
>   are the CPU APIC IDs, on boot or on CPU hotplug.
> - The APIC ID is already a perfectly good CPU identifier, that is
>   present on bare metal hardware too.
>   - Adding a new kind of "CPU identifier" in addition to the APIC ID
>     would just make things more complex.
>   - The only problem with APIC IDs is that they may not be contiguous.
>
> That said, I would like to clarify the meaning of:
>
> - FW_CFG_MAX_CPUS
>
> What are the basic semantics and expectations about FW_CFG_MAX_CPUS?

FYI: This originates from Sparc and PPC, it says how many SMP CPUs
there are in the system. There we don't have (at least now) any CPU
IDs and of course no APIC.

But I have no idea what x86 should use. As a general rule, what would
happen on a real machine should be emulated, but QEMU can also assist
BIOS (for example to skip some complex HW probes).