[SeaBIOS] S3 resume is broken on QEMU

Gleb Natapov gleb at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 17:28:05 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 05:15:58PM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Gleb Natapov wrote:
> > > In real life, SeaBIOS does not need to run the VGA BIOS when I resume
> > > my ThinkPad with coreboot.
> >
> > So do not run it on a ThinkPad.
>
> If it's not needed on my machine, why would it be the right solution
> anywhere else?

That's the strange question. Because it does not work for others may be?

> > BTW are you resuming to X? Can you switch to a console and
> > suspend/resume there to see if it works?
>
> Both work fine. The KMS driver restores the hardware correctly.
>

> > > Why should QEMU impose an artificial requirement which additionally
> > > aligns poorly with the common specifications?
> >
> > There is nothing artificial about the requirement. It exists on real HW.
> > Here for instance: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130909
>
> It *is* rtificial because it is obviously not always neccessary.
That's strange definition of artificial. Something that is not always
necessary is not artificial.

> In the above forum post it's also clear that the problem is that the
> graphics driver is unable to resume properly. During the three years
> since that post maybe the NVIDIA driver situation has improved. (I
> haven't used NVIDIA graphics in a while, so I can't say there.)

He does not use X. He does not need proprietary NVIDIA driver.

> > > It sounds like QEMU just needs a simple KMS driver. Isn't there
> > > actually one already, which might fit well?
> >
> > QEMU has no drivers. It has devices.
>
> Yeah. You mentioned "driver" so I did the same. Sorry for not making
> it more explicit that like you I also refered to a driver in the
> operating system.
>

> > > That model completely and utterly fails with every operating system
> > > today, where indeed there are, must be and should be, device drivers.
> >
> > And meanwhile, in real life, you cannot resume Linux into console.
>
> It works fine for me. Try it on your machine with a KMS driver.
On my machine I install any standard distribution and it does not work.
I tried several Red Hats, Fedoras and Debian.

> They've been around for a few years now, and as I mentioned I believe
> there is a KMS driver intended for guest use too.
>

> > This abstract graphics HW surely helped Linux adoption. Without it you
> > wouldn't be able to run Linux even in a text mode on most HW in late
> > 90s since nobody published HW spec and wrote drivers for Linux.
>
> 20 years later the software and hardware landscape is very different.

And resume on standard vga still does not work.

--
			Gleb.