[SeaBIOS] S3 resume is broken on QEMU

Gleb Natapov gleb at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 09:18:40 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 08:59:50AM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Gleb Natapov wrote:
> > > If someone can point out a spec to the contrary I'd be happy to change
> > > the default in SeaBIOS.
> >
> > There is spec and there is real life. Real life should take precedence.
>
> In real life, SeaBIOS does not need to run the VGA BIOS when I resume
> my ThinkPad with coreboot.

So do not run it on a ThinkPad. BTW are you resuming to X? Can you switch
to a console and suspend/resume there to see if it works?

> Why should QEMU impose an artificial requirement which additionally
> aligns poorly with the common specifications?

There is nothing artificial about the requirement. It exists on real HW.
Here for instance: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130909

> "This is how it always was" is fine to have some temporary legacy
> support, but it's not an excuse to not fix the problem properly,
> in the right place.
>

> > There is not way OSMP can restore unknown state of a random vga card
> > without special driver for that card.
>
> It sounds like QEMU just needs a simple KMS driver. Isn't there
> actually one already, which might fit well?

QEMU has no drivers. It has devices.

> > This is why vgabios exists in the first place.
>
> VGA BIOS exists because 30 years ago it seemed like a good idea
> to abstract graphics hardware, so that the only operating system
> at the time did not have to know hardware details.
>
> That model completely and utterly fails with every operating system
> today, where indeed there are, must be and should be, device drivers.

And meanwhile, in real life, you cannot resume Linux into console.
This abstract graphics HW surely helped Linux adoption. Without it you
wouldn't be able to run Linux even in a text mode on most HW in late
90s since nobody published HW spec and wrote drivers for Linux.

--
			Gleb.