[SeaBIOS] SeaBIOS and Bochs?

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Tue Feb 14 20:44:59 CET 2012

I'm stuck with a few questions about applying SeaBIOS to Bochs
(Windows), hoping someone is willing to give out some helpful hints.

1) Can the downloadable v1.6.3 binary directly be used in Bochs, or is a
recompile needed? Thought I read some docs about MTRR config options.

2) What minimal system requirements does SeaBIOS put on a virtual
machine? 80586, 2MB, PCI ? 80386, 1MB, ISA ?

3) Is there an opensource BIOS, usable in Bochs and QEMU, that does work
with only 1MB RAM assigned to the VM? SeaBIOS fails this.

As much as I like VMware, and QEMU (including SeaBIOS) as well,
evaluation of all the 22 criteria for my goal (see [1]) resulted
selecting Bochs as least bad emulation/virtualisation/simulation
solution. Hopefully QEMU can match these criteria someday.

with best regards,

Bernd Blaauw

[1] : [ http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=28786659 ]