[SeaBIOS] Graphics card pass-through working with two pass pci-initialization

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon May 30 09:34:07 CEST 2011

   Hi,

> If I am not mistaken then the graphics card needs 2 bars, one with 256MB
> and one with 128K. The sound card then needs 1 bar with 16K of PCI memory.
> How big is the PCI memory with seabios?

Some comments on that (apply to the kraxel.q35 branch):

You can add this to the qemu command line to get the seabios debug
output printed:

qemu $usualoptions -chardev stdio,id=seabios \
      -device isa-debugcon,iobase=0x402,chardev=seabios

Then you can watch seabios assigning memory.

The ordering of the cards should not matter at all, the hacked bios does
a two-pass scan to order the memory bars by size and pack them nicely.

Finding holes in address space for pci bars is not perfect yet.  Right
now it has sort-of hardcoded the 0xf0000000 -> 0xfec00000 range and
tries to fit in stuff there.  If it fails to fit in everything it tries
again but leaves out devices which are not essential for boot.  If it
still fails the error isn't handled yet.  For q35 this is a non-starter
as it uses the e0000000 -> efffffff range for pci mmconfig.  For the
piix it doesn't hurt for now as the area above 0xe0000000 is unused.
And the address space up to 0xe0000000 is used for guest ram only, thus
it depends on the amount of memory you assign to the guest whenever this
area is free or not.  If you assign -- say -- 2G to your guest
everything above 0x80000000 is free.

With your setup (256m + 128m + small stuff) I'd expect seabios place the
256m bar @ 0xe0000000, the 128m bar @ 0xf0000000 and all the small ones
above 0xf8000000.  It will maps only the devices which it thinks are
essential for boot (i.e. skip the sound card).

At the end of the day I want the pci address space allocation code have
no hard-coded addresses in there but use the e820 table instead to
figure how big the address space hole is.  Maybe even use multiple holes
(i.e. also use the memory below mmconfig @ 0xe0000000 with q35).

cheers,
   Gerd