[SeaBIOS] Graphics card pass-through working with two pass pci-initialization

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at web.de
Sun May 29 22:51:46 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-29 21:30, André Weidemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 29.05.2011 17:22, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 2010-05-28 20:49, André Weidemann wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I added some debug options and found out, that the VM hangs when trying
>>> to initialize the graphics card ROM.
>>> See here:
>>> http://pastebin.com/S9a8uQfU
>>>
>>> And some additional info here:
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.com/AC4rw8Ek (info cpus/registers)
>>> http://pastebin.com/yYkn8jL2 (info pci)
>>
>> Yeah, you definitely run out of PCI memory.
>>
>> Plus you may suffer from the PAM/SMRAM bug I wrote about in the wiki.
>> Try if this hack improves the situation:
>>
>> http://git.kiszka.org/?p=qemu-kvm.git;a=commitdiff;h=96e600f43275310364c0310519d6ab6540bb7d25
>>

> I applied above patch, but it did not make a difference. The VM did not
> boot with the parameter "-vga none".

Err, yes, of course. You also need at least legacy VGA pass-through like
in this commit:

http://git.kiszka.org/?p=qemu-kvm.git;a=commitdiff;h=5c14a1b3510d977f194b75672196caca0b488760

But there is no guarantee that the BIOS you try to run through POST
inside the guest is actually prepared for this. Maybe specifying an
empty ROM helps to get the guest a bit further:

-device pci-assign,romfile=,host=...

> I found the time to apply your two patches here:
> http://git.kiszka.org/?p=seabios.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/vga-assign
> After doing so, Gerds q35 bios branch prints an error message during
> compile.
> The error comes from line 33 here:
> http://www.kraxel.org/cgit/seabios/tree/src/dev-q35.c?h=kraxel.q35
> How do I adjust the memory area here?

Just use my branch without any of Gerd's patches for the first step.

Jan