[SeaBIOS] Is the SeaBIOS ELF 32 bit entry point a supported interface?

Ian Campbell Ian.Campbell at citrix.com
Tue May 10 14:47:34 CEST 2011

Hi,

It looks like it is but I just thought I should check, is starting
SeaBIOS via the ELF entry point (post32 in romlayout.S) rather than via
the 16 bit reset vector valid from the SeaBIOS point of view?

I'm considering it as an option for supporting SeaBIOS inside a Xen HVM
(AKA fully virtualised) guest. Currently Xen loads "hvmloader" as the
initial code to run within the guest. hvmloader does some initial setup,
copies the BIOS (previously ROMBIOS but there is now very early support
for SeaBIOS too) into the right place and then trampolines to the 16 bit
entry point. However almost all of the initial setup is (or at least
seems like it will end up being once I've checked it all out) ROMBIOS
specific so I am considering the option of just loading SeaBIOS directly
in place of hvmloader.

Cheers,
Ian.