[SeaBIOS] [Xen-devel] Re: Xen HVM Support

Ian Campbell Ian.Campbell at eu.citrix.com
Fri Jul 22 11:32:34 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 10:27 +0100, Tobias Geiger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday i tried to boot Windows7 64bit with the new "Upstream Qemu with
> Seabios" HVM loader under xen unstable (yesterdays hg pull)
>
> The Windows Installer booted fine from the ISO (after enabling El-Torrito
> Emulation in Seabios menuconfig), but the Windows Installer soon gave up with a
> BSOD (STOP 0xA5), much like stated here http://www.coreboot.org/SeaBIOS under
> "Windows".
> I have a Screenshot from the BSOD in case the adresses are of any interest.
>
> Any hints, or is this supposed to not work (yet) ?

We haven't yet tested the whole range of possible guests and I haven't
personally tried Windows 7 with new qemu+SeaBIOS.

The Wikipage suggests that the issue is related to the ACPI tables and
under Xen these are the same as those used by old qemu+ROMBIOS so it may
not be the exact same issue. Have you tried the same OS under old qemu?
(although I'm sure we would know already if Windows 7 support was broken
in xen-unstable...)

The screenshot would probably be useful to see.

Ian.