[SeaBIOS] Adding non standard VGA modes

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sun Jul 17 19:46:58 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 01:42:43PM +0200, Bernhard Guillon wrote:
> Hi all,
> I want to ask if it is possible to add non standard VGA modes like
> 800x480 to seabios vgabios implementation. I want to be able to use
> it for qemu. After looking at the code I am puzzeled about the
> "random numbers" e.g. [1]. Can you hint me to any documentation or
> books I can read to understand what they are doing?

The code is a port of the GPL'd vgabios:
http://www.nongnu.org/vgabios/

I ported only the basic VGA functionality - non standard modes are in
the "vesa" and "cirrus" branches of the code.  It would be nice to
port that over as well.

The "magic" numbers are the register settings of the VGA adapter for
various modes.  Here's a link I have that has assorted info:

http://www.osdever.net/FreeVGA/home.htm