[SeaBIOS] [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU-KVM and video performance - Update

Gerhard Wiesinger lists at wiesinger.com
Fri Feb 18 08:32:17 CET 2011

Hello,

Some update on this issue, archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/kvm@vger.kernel.org/msg32600.html

Seems to be that cirrus VGA is now ok (>1000MB/s up to 2000MB/s). But
cirrus has only 320x200x256colors (Mode 13h) mode implemented in VESA
BIOS.

VMWare and std VGA still have the performance issue.

I guess improvement is related to the following commit:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=virt/kvm/qemu-kvm.git;a=commitdiff;h=0d14905b5eb8aa1c2e195e13478bb7c74e1776db
Especially i guess the change in hw/cirrus_vga.c.

Any idea how to fix:
1.) More VESA modes in cirrus VGA (is VESA emulation done by Seabios or by
KVM cirrus BIOS?)
2.) fix in VMWare and std VGA modes the performance, too

Versions are latest dev versions of KVM user part and Seabios from GIT.

Thnx.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--