[SeaBIOS] non-emulated AHCI hardware

Jonathan A. Kollasch jakllsch at kollasch.net
Sun Feb 13 00:43:24 CET 2011

Hi,

I've been trying SeaBIOS's AHCI driver on AMD SB710 hardware under
coreboot.  Both AMD's AHCI BIOS and NetBSD's ahcisata(4) drivers are
happy enough with the hardware's state after coreboot/SeaBIOS.

However, SeaBIOS's AHCI driver just falls into a dead loop waiting for
commands to complete. This is due to at least two problems.

The immediate problem is that we tell the HBA that a Host To Device FIS
is 4 dwords. The correct value is 5 dwords if I read the specs right.

But, when the H2D FIS length we give to the HBA is 5, I have a more
perplexing problem.  The machine hardlocks when HBA registers are
read after the command has been issued.  When I examine the Command List
and Receive FIS Area, etc. before and after issuing the command, they have
not changed.

	Jonathan Kollasch