[SeaBIOS] HPET configuration in Seabios (was: Re: windows workload: many ept_violation and mmio exits)

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Mon Aug 29 00:14:37 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 10:42:49PM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2011-08-28 20:54, Alexander Graf wrote:

> >> Looks like a bug to me.
> >
> > IIRC disabling the HPET device doesn't remove the entry from the DSDT, no? So the guest OS might still think it's there while nothing responds (read returns -1).
>
> Exactly. We have a fw_cfg interface in place for quite a while now
> (though I wonder how the firmware is supposed to tell -no-hpet apart
> from QEMU versions that don't provide this data - both return count =
> 255), but SeaBios still exposes one HPET block at a hard-coded address
> unconditionally.
>
> There was quite some discussion about the corresponding Seabios patches
> back then but apparently no consensus was found. Re-reading it, I think
> Kevin asked for passing the necessary DSDT fragments from QEMU to the
> firmware instead of using a new, proprietary fw_cfg format. Is that
> still the key requirement for any patch finally fixing this bug?

My preference would be to use the existing ACPI table passing
interface (fw_cfg slot 0x8000) to pass different ACPI tables to
SeaBIOS.

SeaBIOS doesn't currently allow that interface to override tables
SeaBIOS builds itself, but it's a simple change to rectify that.

When this was last proposed, it was raised that the header information
in the ACPI table may then not match the tables that SeaBIOS builds.
I think I proposed at that time that SeaBIOS could use the header of
the first fw_cfg table (or some other fw_cfg interface) to populate
the headers of its table headers.  However, there was no consensus.

Note - the above is in regard to the HPET table.  If the HPET entry in
the DSDT needs to be removed then that's a bigger change.