[SeaBIOS] [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Passing boot order from qemu to seabios

Gleb Natapov gleb at redhat.com
Mon Oct 11 22:36:53 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 03:30:21PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 02:59 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> >No boot rom should do that. extboot wreaks havoc when it is used.
> >And since virtio is now supported by bios there is no reason to use it.
>
> You don't really have a choice.  You could be doing hardware
> passthrough and the ROM on the card may hijack int19.

Then this particular HW would be broken on real HW too and will not
respect BIOS settings. But the code we provide should work properly.

> >Whoever needs scsi boot should add it to seabios too.
>
> I don't disagree.
>
> I think the best thing to do is to let SeaBIOS create a boot order
> table that contains descriptive information and then advertise that
> to QEMU.

What for? Why this step is needed?

> QEMU can then try to associate the list of bootable devices with
> it's own set of devices and select a preferred order that it can
> then give back to SeaBIOS.  SeaBIOS can then present that list to
> the user for additional refinement.

Why not skip your first step and let QEMU create boot order list and
pass it into Seabios. If menu=on option is present user will be able to
override the default from Seabios.

--
			Gleb.