[SeaBIOS] SMBIOS strings

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sat May 29 18:15:24 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 05:24:47PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> We were looking at the dmidecode output from qemu-kvm pre-seabios and
> current qemu-kvm and noticed some of the strings have changed.
[...]
> I wanted to check with the lists if there are any strong feelings about
> this, and whether some of these changes were made for specific reasons?
>
> For example:
[...]
> -       Vendor: QEMU
> -       Version: QEMU
> +       Vendor: Bochs
> +       Version: Bochs
[...]
> -       Manufacturer: QEMU
> -       ID: 63 06 00 00 FD FB 8B 07
> +       Manufacturer: Bochs
> +       ID: 23 06 00 00 FD FB 8B 07

I made these changes in SeaBIOS when I was cleaning up the ifdefs in
the code.  Instead of "ifdef QEMU" spread around the code, I
abstracted out the various names into CONFIG_APPNAME.  I defaulted the
names to the Bochs based ones because they were the default in the
original Bochs bios code.  So, the only reason for these string
differences is that the default name hasn't been changed.

> Otherwise, if there are no objections, I'll look at adding some patches
> to make it more backwards compatible.

I wonder if making the default names be "SeaBIOS" based instead of
bochs/qemu based would make sense.  That way there isn't an impulse to
change the settings with every emulator seabios runs on.  (Ideally,
the same binary would be run on multiple emulators to simplify
testing.)