[SeaBIOS] SMBIOS strings

Jes Sorensen Jes.Sorensen at redhat.com
Fri May 28 17:24:47 CEST 2010

Hi,

We were looking at the dmidecode output from qemu-kvm pre-seabios and
current qemu-kvm and noticed some of the strings have changed.

The main problem with this is that certain OSes are quite sensitive to
system changes and avoiding to change things unnecessarily would
probably be a good thing.

I wanted to check with the lists if there are any strong feelings about
this, and whether some of these changes were made for specific reasons?

For example:

 Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
 BIOS Information
-       Vendor: QEMU
-       Version: QEMU
+       Vendor: Bochs
+       Version: Bochs
        Release Date: 01/01/2007
        Address: 0xE8000
        Runtime Size: 96 kB

and this:

 Handle 0x0401, DMI type 4, 32 bytes
 Processor Information
-       Socket Designation: CPU 1
+       Socket Designation: CPU01
        Type: Central Processor
        Family: Other
-       Manufacturer: QEMU
-       ID: 63 06 00 00 FD FB 8B 07
+       Manufacturer: Bochs
+       ID: 23 06 00 00 FD FB 8B 07
        Version: Not Specified
        Voltage: Unknown
        External Clock: Unknown

I guess the Socket Designation in particular might have been done for a
reason?

Otherwise, if there are no objections, I'll look at adding some patches
to make it more backwards compatible.

Cheers,
Jes