[SeaBIOS] ata driver issues

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Tue Jan 26 01:59:24 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:12:08PM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried booting an OpenSUSE 11.2 DVD on an i945/ICH7 based system
> with SeaBIOS. This is a work in progress report.
>
> The system hangs with the following message:
> Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)...
>
> after a while it prints "IDE DMA timeout"
>
> This message goes away if I enable CONFIG_ATA_DMA but the sysem still hangs.

That's very odd.  The "IDE DMA timeout" looks like a SeaBIOS message,
but you can only get that message if CONFIG_ATA_DMA is enabled.

> Booting with edd=off gets the system further. It boots up with the
> following messages:

The EDD code in SeaBIOS is pretty straight forward - it definitely
shouldn't be doing disk accesses.  Maybe you've got a bad build - have
you tried doing a fresh checkout and/or "make clean"?