[SeaBIOS] compiling a working Seabios

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Wed Feb 17 06:30:36 CET 2010

Hi All,

I have an Intel/Truxton (Tolapai/EP80579) type platform that I am
using coreboot and seabios on. Up to now I have been using a
pre-compiled binary from Kevin's download site:

   http://linuxtogo.org/~kevin/SeaBIOS/seabios-0.5.1.tar.gz

and that has been working fine. (The coreboot is modified to
support some changes on this particular hardware platform).

Now the problem is that I want to generate seabios binaries from
source. And I can't seem to be able to compile a working one.

My host build system is a Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64 install (using the most
up to date packages). This a gcc-4.4.1 and binutils-2.20 setup.

If I get the source seabios-0.5.1 package from Kevin's download
page and compile that I end up with a bios.bin.elf that is:

    -rwxr-xr-x 1 gerg gerg  1048716  2010-02-17 15:11 bios.bin.elf

Hmm, rather large :-)  The actual contents maybe ok:

out/bios.bin.elf:     file format elf32-i386

Sections:
Idx Name          Size      VMA       LMA       File off  Algn
   0 .text         00013000  000ed000  000ed000  000ed000  2**4
                   CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE

The file offset is looking bad here.

If I instead use a binutils-2.18 "ld" that I have lying around
(doing "make LD=i386-linux-ld") then I end up with a more
reasonable sized bios.bin.elf of 82060 bytes. But this bios.bin.elf
just hangs after being loaded by coreboot on my target.

I tried compiling this same seabios version (0.5.1) on an older
Fedora Core 9 system (also an x86_64 install), and again that produced
a non-working bios.bin.elf.

I also got the latest seabios git tree and tried that. I also couldn't
get a working seabios binary using that either.

What versions of gcc/binutils do others use?
Does anyone have any ideas where by building could be going wrong?

Regards
Greg

Greg Ungerer  --  Principal Engineer        EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Group, McAfee                      PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888
8 Gardner Close                             FAX:         +61 7 3217 5323
Milton, QLD, 4064, Australia                WEB: http://www.SnapGear.com