[SeaBIOS] Running out of space in e/f-segments

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sun Aug 22 19:25:10 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 08:54:35AM +0200, Rudolf Marek wrote:
> >>What about other CPUs?
> >
> >Not sure what you mean here.
>
> It depends on reset types. Maybe halting other cpus would be good idea.

Oh - reset on SMP.  Good point.  We'd need to find a reset mechanism
that worked even on SMP.

BTW, I tried the cf9, kbd controller, and triple fault reset on qemu.
Unfortunately, cf9 doesn't do anything, and the other two only soft
reset the cpu.  A soft reset just causes POST to get called again in
an infinite loop.

Anyone know of a way to reliably hard reset qemu?

> Btw what about HMA? Maybe you can simply link the post code to HMA.
> And win 64kb. Bonus is that it is reachable from real mode.

Boot loaders and OSes assume they can use the memory immiediately
above 1Meg - the BIOS isn't allowed to reserve it.