[SeaBIOS] Running out of space in e/f-segments

Avi Kivity avi at redhat.com
Sun Aug 22 18:23:30 CEST 2010

  On 08/22/2010 07:08 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:

>>> IIRC this was discussed already. Some applications call BIOS from vm16
>>> mode so switch to 32-bin is impossible.
>> Ugh.  We could use the old 286 trick and reset the CPU to escape to
>> real mode, but this isn't a viable solution (for example, how would
>> we get back?)
> It may not even be possible to reset the cpu as that may be blocked by
> the OS when the bios is in vm86 mode.

Well, it's likely running with all ports open since the (guest) VMM does
not know what the BIOS accesses.

btw, big real mode cannot be entered in vm86 mode.  So anything
involving that can safely be moved to upper memory 32-bit code.

> One could try invoking an SMI to get into 32bit mode, but that also
> has difficulties (eg, the OS could block that too, paging would have
> to be emulated, it could be a security problem).

Even worse (from my perspective), kvm doesn't emulate SMM.

> Even with all its warts I think .code16gcc is the best route.

For 16-bit runtime services, I agree.  For POST and 32-bit runtime
services, I think we can easily push the code to 4G-2M.