[SeaBIOS] About cpu_set, CPU hotplug and related subjects

Jes Sorensen Jes.Sorensen at redhat.com
Wed Apr 28 11:31:00 CEST 2010

On 04/22/10 03:12, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> As I understand it, the hotplug support was only in the kvm copy of
> bochs bios.  It also limited the number of cpus one could use (I think
> 16).
>
> The current smp support in SeaBIOS doesn't limit the number of cpus.
>
> So, there has been reluctance to just port the old kvm bios code
> forward.

I believe the number was limited to 15, due to limits in a certain
proprietary operating system.

The issue with the AML code in BOCHS vs the code in Seabios is a bit
tricky. The tables in BOCHS are a fair bit more complicated with the
hotplug code and therefore statically generated, whereas Seabios
generates them dynamically at boot time.

Generating the more complex tables dynamically would be preferred, but
it requires like half an AML compiler in Seabios, so it kinda stalled
there....

Cheers,
Jes