[SeaBIOS] Proper support for PCI-based option rom loading (was Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: qdev property bug?)

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Tue Dec 15 20:35:52 CET 2009

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> -kernel didn't work on a quick test.

Thinking about how to fix this, we have two options.  The first would be
to use the support in SeaBIOS for static roms but that would limit us to
two user supplied option roms (including kernel/multiboot/extboot).  We
could extend this to more than two roms but I think that's generally ugly.

Alternatively, we could introduce a special rom-only PCI device.
Besides getting support for a much greater number of option roms, it
also gives us a much nicer way to integrate multiboot/linux boot support
via qdev (instead of the ugly machine hack we have now).

We could make them multifunction devices so that we don't unnecessarily
burn PCI slots to support roms.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori