[openfirmware] Booting a USB device when unsupported by the BIOS

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.openfirmware at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 16:29:14 CEST 2012

For an older computer which doesn't boot from external (e.g. USB)
devices but will load OFW from floppy or a sacrificial disc partition,
and which is then able to see an external USB-connected CD-ROM drive, is
there a generic command to tell it to boot from a CD (containing e.g.
Linux or Windows) or would this rely too heavily on BIOS facilities that
are unavailable once OFW is running?

Alternatively, given probe-usb output of

USB2 devices:
USB1 devices:
/pci/usb at 7,2/cdrom at 0,0
/pci/usb at 7,2/cdrom at 0,0/disk

how can I best look at the media to determine the name of kernel, initrd
etc., and subsequently convert those into boot-device, boot-file,
ramdisk etc. parameters? I've tried  dir /pci/usb at 7,2/cdrom at 0,0/disk at 0:0
  etc. but the disc spins for a while and then reports iso9660-file-system.

I'm trying to write this up to answer an FAQ on a private conferencing
system I use.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk