[openfirmware] How to play a music with tone?

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Mon May 30 07:11:03 CEST 2011

On 5/29/2011 6:47 PM, 胡松涛 wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to make a small demo for Open Firmware to show that it can play a
> music.
> the very basic is : play, pause, play
> with play, I use tone . but, I can't find WORD for pause, where is it?

For pause, do you mean a time delay?  If so, you can use

    ms  ( #msecs -- )

For example

    d# 1000 ms

will delay for 1 second.

> further more, I read some articles about midi file. It's a little
> complicated for me. So I want to finished the first tone-music first :)
>
> PS: Are there some detail articles about Open Firmware handle with
> music? wav, midi, mp3 or event avi?

OFW can play .wav files - see cpu/x86/adpcm.fth .

OFW does not have any built-in support for midi or mp3.  Midi playback
requires sound synthesis code or a hardware sound synthesizer.  mp3
playback requires a patent license from Fraunhofer so I cannot include
that capability in free software.

I'm not sure what you mean by "event avi".