[openfirmware] Making Open Firmware look like CE

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.openfirmware at telemetry.co.uk
Sat May 28 14:19:49 CEST 2011

A few weeks ago (mid March) I mentioned that I had some ARM boards that
I'd like use as Linux development systems. Unfortunately, they come with
CE, and while the manufacturer does supply Linux it's prohibitively
expensive.

CE is booted from a partitioned CompactFlash card, and I initially
thought that the code in the partition and filesystem boot sectors was
relevant, i.e. that there was something equivalent to a PC's BIOS in
Flash. However on inspection I think that the code is x86, which implies
that the loader in Flash is reading and transferring control to the OS
image directly.

Is it possible to build Open Firmware to look like a CE image, which
would possibly allow this board (and potentially many other devices) to
run Linux without modification to the content of internal Flash?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk