[openfirmware] Can't get /pci/display ihandle under vbox&laptop

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Wed May 25 07:11:04 CEST 2011

Here's a recipe for accessing VESA graphics from OFW in VirtualBox.

Make a bootable USB stack with OFW, using pre-v4 syslinux (it might work
with v4 syslinux but I haven't tried it).

Follow the instructions at
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-a-usb-flash-drive-in-virtualbox/ to
make VirtualBox boot from the USB stick.  Those instructions did not
work exactly for me - the Create Virtual Machine - Virtual Hard Disk
dialog could not find usb.vmdk .  I solved that by using the Settings
menu to replace the default IDE drive with usb.vmdk .

Your virtual machine must have at least 245M of memory.

Set up a piped serial port as described in section 3.9 of the VirtualBox
manual.

Start the virtual machine.  When the ok prompt comes up, type "com1 io"
to send the console to the virtual serial port.

Type this:

ok hex 142 set-linear-mode

That should put the virtualbox emulator window into graphics mode

ok 142 vesa-lfb-adr 10000 ff0000 lfill

That should make part of the screen turn red.