[openfirmware] Problem compiling OpenFirmware for ppc

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Thu Nov 19 18:35:23 CET 2009

Christian Johansson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thank you for your answer.
> Let me start by saying that this project is just for my own amusement.
>
> Well, what I'm trying to do is to use openfirmware as firmware for
> qemu-system-ppc(64).
>
> The far-far end of this project is trying to get AIX to boot somehow ...
> (Really doubt it myself, but anyway ...)

My memory is that, of all the operating systems we worked with in the
heyday of PREP and multiple-OSs on PPC, AIX was perhaps the easiest to
get booting.

> After doing extreme amounts of violence on wrapper.c,
> (there is some sort of mixup with AIX - macros)
> i got forth to compile cleanly on AIX 32-bits.

When you're ready, send me your modified version and I'll see about
upstreaming the changes.  I'm not surprised the that macros are messed
up, since it has been ages since I had an AIX system to use.

> Unfortunately, now the build process bails out with:

Okay, so this is good.  The problem below is understood and easy to
fix.  The good news is that a whole lot of stuff is working in order to
get to that point.

The tag-file problem results from a change I made in svn 1294.  I folded
the source changes into the PPC code, but forgot to recompile the builder.

I recompiled the builder and checked in a new version - svn 1493 is your
friend.

To break the chicken-and-egg problem of recompiling, I temporarily
commented-out lines 62 and 64 of meta1.fth, recompiled the kernel (to
get the variable "tag-file" included in the base Forth dictionary),
recompiled tools.dic, and builder.dic.  That gave me a builder that
includes the "tag-file" variable.  Then I put meta1.fth back to its
uncommented-out state and recompiled everything just to check.

In the process I found and fixed a bug in ppc/kerncode.fth that svn 1294
had introduced.

It should all work now.

By the way, you can do builds for PPC on an x86 system without needing
qemu.  If, on an x86 Linux system, you go into cpu/x86/Linux and do

   $ make -f Makefile.ppcforth

You will get an executable "ppcforth" that is a wrapper plus PPC
instruction set emulator.  You can use it instead of "forth" (perhaps
symlinking it to "forth" and "ppcforth") to run ppc .dic files.  I wrote
that simulator one weekend in a frenzy of hacking, after several weeks
of unsuccessful negotiations with Motorola to get access to their
existing simulator.  This was before we had any powerpc hardware at
all.  Eventually IBM agreed to let us actually touch a 601-based
"Sandalwood" machine in a customer's lab.  A few months later we had
more powerpc hardware than we knew what to deal with, but in the early
days, getting hardware to test was tough.

If you use the "ppcforth.trace" variant, you can do instruction-level
debugging.  See the "trace()" subroutine in cpu/ppc/ppcsim/ppcsim.c.

I had nearly forgotten that all that stuff existed...