[openfirmware] problem with GRUB loaded version

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Aug 25 22:45:19 CEST 2009

Dompi wrote:
> Can't open ${BP}/dev/mmc/sdhci/build/sdhci.fc for reading.
> make: *** [ofw.c32] Erreur 1
>
> After replacing  sdhci.fc wiith sdhci2.fc ( line 105 in ofw.bth  )
> the build was  successfull.

That works.  Another solution would be to add a line:

in: ${BP}/dev/mmc/sdhci/build/sdhci.fc

to force that module to be built.

Still another solution would be to comment out line 105 entirely.

> But that was  not the story end :
>    when loaded by GRUB the image crashed badly with a black screen
> followed by a reboot.
> Looking at the code i noticed the report mecanism that outputs
> progress messages
> on the COM1 port.
> With rev 1320 i got the following pattern :
>       For
> With rev 1163 ( which is OK ) i got the regular Forthmacs banner.
> It seems to me that the paging module is not executing at all with a
> crash as a consequence.
> I built rev 1166 which introduced lot of changes in resetend.fth and
> in the memory setup

Well, I wouldn't call 4 lines a "lot" of changes in resetend.fth, but be
that as it may ...

The most likely cause of the problem is the changed value of gdt-pa in
cpu/x86/pc/virtaddr.fth

I changed that to avoid some data structure that some BIOS was using -
but maybe the new place is causing a conflict with something else.  You
could try changing it back to 1040 to see what happens.