[OpenBIOS] Apple's BootX

BALATON Zoltan balaton at eik.bme.hu
Tue Jan 30 15:10:58 CET 2018

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018, Jd Lyons via OpenBIOS wrote:
> Ok, with a little help for Paul at the kvm-ppc mailing list, it seems
> the issue maybe that the BootX or more likely mach_kernel it trying to
> write something to or probe for an L3 cache.

With kvm could be but on TCG it doesn't seem that way. Enabling some SPR
debug options in target/ppc/translate_init.c I see this (with qemu git
HEAD without other patches):

$ ppc-softmmu/qemu-system-ppc -cpu G4 -d int
Write SPR 272 110 <= 07e00000
Read SPR 287 11f => 000c0209
Read SPR 25 019 => 07e00000
Read SPR 25 019 => 07e00000
Read SPR 287 11f => 000c0209
Raise exception at fff08978 => 00000003 (40000000)
Write SPR 273 111 <= 07df7ff0
Write SPR 274 112 <= 20000004
Read SPR 272 110 => 07e00000
Read SPR 273 111 => 07df7ff0
Read SPR 274 112 => 20000004
Read SPR 26 01a => fff08978
Read SPR 27 01b => 40000030

$ ppc-softmmu/qemu-system-ppc -cpu 7447a -d int
Write SPR 272 110 <= 07e00000
Read SPR 287 11f => 80030102
Read SPR 25 019 => 07e00000
Read SPR 25 019 => 07e00000
Read SPR 287 11f => 80030102
Raise exception at fff08978 => 0000004e (00)

So OpenBIOS gets unexpected exception very early right after reading the
PVR so maybe it's a problem in OpenBIOS before it gets to what you're
describing. Is this already fixed?

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan