[OpenBIOS] Probing the PCI bus for Option ROMs.

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Fri Apr 6 14:18:39 CEST 2018

On 04/04/18 01:09, Joe van Tunen wrote:

> Why not have a single Option ROM with both a BIOS and Open Firmware image? The BIOS or Open Firmware should be smart enough to loop through the images and select the correct one. Since the option roms are on disk, we don't have to limit the total size. I suppose there's little point because the same machine isn't used for both BIOS and Open Firmware?

For QEMU each of the ROMs tend to come from separate projects, so you'd
end up having to somehow combine them into something custom which would
make bisection/synchronisation and alterations much harder.

As all of the QEMU BIOSes can already talk to the hypervisor then you
might as well use that interface to allow reconfiguration without having
to rebuild QEMU and/or the ROM. A good example of this is the MacOS VGA
NDRV which is served live from QEMU so you can switch the file for
another freely without rebuilding anything.