[OpenBIOS] [Qemu-ppc] Windows NT 4.0 for PowerPC

BALATON Zoltan balaton at eik.bme.hu
Mon Jul 31 12:29:39 CEST 2017

Hello,

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> I'm pretty sure they're not compliant, but they're more similar to CHRP
> than to NewWorld or OldWorld macs as we currently have emulated, so any
> step to CHRP is a step to them.

It's true they are not similar to Mac hardware (but I think old world Mac
is closer to CHRP). However the Sam4x0ey are also not like CHRP or any
standardised platform, they are similar to embedded PPC boards (I don't
know about the Efika). So I don't think this is useful for Amiga like
OSes. For NT for PPC we also have 40p (RS/6000) emulation in QEMU recently
which may be closer to PREP/CHRP and maybe it could run NT for PPC (and
other such OSes) with less changes.

For Amiga like OSes the Sam460EX is a good target because it can run both
MorphOS and AmigaOS today (besides Linux). I have a somewhat working
version in QEMU now but it still not working enough to run any of these
OSes yet but I'll try to clean it up and merge back to QEMU (maybe in the
next development cycle) so others can try to look at it too if I'll have
time for that.

I'm not interested in Windows but OS/2 for PPC seemed interesting until
I've read that even the final released version was very unfinished and
lacking e.g. networking support. So maybe it's more useful to spend time
on enabling some more useful OSes (which are not available in other
already emulated versions) than these obscure ones. They seem to only be
interesting for historic reasons for which is probably better to also get
a real RS/6000 to run them. But of course everyone can have their own
opinion on what's interesting to them.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan