[OpenBIOS] Detoke and the Openbios video console driver?

Jd Lyons lyons_dj at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 17:52:00 CET 2017

I’ve been trying to add graphics acceleration to Qume-PPC and have a few questions about how Open Bios deals with FCode option roms.

I noticed when I build Openbios, it creates a file called QEMU,VGA.bin. Is this file the video console driver for Openbios?

I’d like to replace it with an FCode option rom from one of the proprietary Video cards supported by the Mac OS, is this feasible?

What parts of Openbios would need to be changed to support proprietary FCode option roms from cards like the ATI,Rage 128 Pro?

Would I need to rewrite some part of Openbios to support the VGA?

The file QEMU,VGA doesn’t appear to be Tokenized, can Openbios deal with Tokenized option roms, or do I need to pass it a Detokenized Rom?

I noticed Fcode-Utils has a detoke tool, I’d like to use it to detoke FCode roms, but I’m not sure of it’s usage, do I need to remove the PCI Header from the FCode rom?

If so, how long is the header, is it a standard length, or does it vary from Rom to Rom?

Thanks,
JD