[OpenBIOS] Beginners How-To for DTS and OpenFirmware?

Michael mw at debiancrew.de
Mon Nov 21 15:34:09 CET 2016

Dear list, thank you for the help with cross-compiling for ppc64 so far!
It is important but I overjumped enthusiastically the OF basics :-)

I read many webpages, hints and maybe old sites etc and solved many things.
But is there a "beginners how-to" somewhere? What I would find most usefull:

1) Best source-code to use? There is a version-1.1.zip, a svn repo and
a git repo.

2) The names are also a bit confusing when you see it first. I know about
the IEEE standard and a few things about the history (from wikipedia),
but if you for example visit the website and click on the "openfirmware"
link, the you see a page with "OpenBIOS" heading. So even if one knows
about history, there is confusion about actual used names.

3) How is the device-tree given to OF? And how does OF handle it over
to a linux kernel?

4) Minimal prerequisites on a new hardware, so that OF is able to run?
E.g. which type of RAM does it need? Does it need a stack or .text segment
or other things to run (like c-code)? ...

If these points would be clarified, the it would be much easier for
new people to help with e.g. additional targets or maybe new architectures.

Thanks for your time! Greetings,
Michael