[OpenBIOS] Findings on booting Mac OS 9.2

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Mon May 2 06:57:06 CEST 2016

On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 11:13:47PM -0400, Programmingkid wrote:
> I don't know if I can trust this output because there appears to be a limit to how much can be printed to the serial console. Sometimes I would see at the end "h# C864630D". I'm not sure why. This text is located at the very end of the boot script file. Past the forth section. I don't think the abort" word is the problem because there is no indication that it aborted the script. Hopefully someone will find this information useful.

[ line is over five times too long ]

That is the

   load-base load-size + 12 - 12 ['] eval catch

in the boot script.  The last 12 bytes of your Mac OS ROM are actual
hex text holding the adler32 of the payload.  If you just replace that
text with   dup   (and a bunch of spaces, 12 chars total) the checksum
will always match.

You can try slowing down your printing, maybe you won't lose most
output that way.

Segher