[OpenBIOS] Why some Linux distributions start booting to black screens

BALATON Zoltan balaton at eik.bme.hu
Tue Mar 8 12:35:50 CET 2016

On Mon, 7 Mar 2016, Programmingkid wrote:
> Some Linux distributions like Fedora start booting to an all black
> screen. I found out the reason why is because there appears to be
> something wrong with the screen node's color! word.
>
> If you type these commands in OpenBIOS:
> dev screen
> see color!
>
> You will see that color! is empty. This would definitely prevent the color of text from being changed.

Maybe. I've seen the same with Finnix which prints dark gray on black. But
the reason could also be that on Apple (and Sun too I think) the default
screen color is light so these loaders are using dark colors for text
without changing background color which is black on OpenBIOS. Is it better
to change the default background to a light gray color?

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan