[OpenBIOS] Fail to boot a macosx 10.5 disk image

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Sun Jun 12 17:29:05 CEST 2016

On 12/06/16 16:22, Cédric Le Goater wrote:

>>> FYI, I had to specify the path of BootX to get running.
>>
>> Really? Could you send the exact command used to boot?
>
> Here is it :
>
> 	qemu-system-ppc -M mac99 -m 1024 -drive file=./qemu/macosx.raw -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'boot-device=hd:3,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX' -bios ./work/bootloader/openbios.git/obj-ppc/openbios-qemu.elf
>
> Curiously, openbios is not looking for this file.
>
> hfsp_files_open_nwrom() seems to be the routine looking for such
> files but it is not called. May be because I compiled openbios with
> the qemu-ppc configuration ?
>
> btw, mol-ppc does not compile :
>
> 	forth/device/display.fs:419: undefined word.
>
> I am discovering the code so I might be going in the wrong direction and
> bringing you with me :)

Well I've been working with OpenBIOS for several years now, and I think
you are the only person who has tried to build mol-ppc ;)  My
understanding is that it was a work in progress to move the custom bios
back into the OpenBIOS tree that was never completed. But to be honest
there have been so many changes since then you'd be better off reforking
from the QEMU part if you wanted to bring this back to life.

>> What is the type and creator of the Bootx file? You can use Resedit or another program to find this information out.
>
> So, it reaches the graphical login screen but it dies repeatedly with
> this message on the console :
>
> 	getty : /dev/console Operation not supported by device
> 	crashdump[146]: crash report written to ...
>
> and I can not login :/
>
> Some issue in the device models may be? I did not dig in yet.

And -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' doesn't provide any useful extra logging at
all?