[OpenBIOS] Fail to boot a macosx 10.5 disk image

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 20:52:30 CEST 2016

On 08/06/16 14:48, Cédric Le Goater wrote:

> So it is hd:3 and then, openbios dies directly :

> 	IN:
> 	0xfff0d6c8:  mr      r28,r3
> 	0xfff0d6cc:  add     r30,r30,r3
> 	0xfff0d6d0:  add     r31,r31,r3
> 	0xfff0d6d4:  b       0xfff0d6a0
>
> 	IN:
> 	0xfff0d6a0:  mr      r3,r29
> 	0xfff0d6a4:  li      r5,0
> 	0xfff0d6a8:  mr      r6,r30
> 	0xfff0d6ac:  bl      0xfff279e8
>
> 	IN:
> 	0x00000300:  .long 0x0
>
> 	IN:
> 	0x00000700:  .long 0x0
>
> which is this loop in bootcode_load() :

>     bootcode = loadbase;
>     offset = 0;
>
>     while(1) {
>         if (seek_io(fd, offset) == -1)
>             break;
>         count = read_io(fd, (void *)bootcode, 512);
>         offset += count;
>         bootcode += count;
>     }

Hi Cédric,

As a starting point, can you provide the contents of the root of the HD
image as given with:

dir hd:3,\

(it's much easier to cut/paste if you run qemu-system-ppc with
-nographic). This is just to ensure that a HFS+ FS isn't accidentally
getting picked up as a HFS filesystem (some driver partitions are set up
this way).

> How do I add more logging with openbios ?

You should find that in -nographic mode Forth errors are logged to the
console - does anything obvious stand out? If not, you'd probably have
to look at modifying OpenBIOS to dump out the 10.5 bootloader to see
what it's trying to do.